Monday, September 7, 2009

My First Weekend

So, my computer has made the sweeping decision not to recognize certain capital letters, regardless of context or program. This does not affect all letters – 'C' for example, is fine – but any hopes I had of beginning a sentence with 'you' went out the window with my capital y. This also means that I can neither put things in quotations nor use a colon though, for reasons that are unfathomable to me, my question mark is still operational. Thus handicapped, I still update.

Last night, I went to class, then to an antique show, then to see Bob Sinclair in concert, then to a night club where I danced and drank until 4 in the morning before finally getting 4 hours sleep on the floor of a german exchange student's dorm room. The antique show was amazing.

Literally every fantasy I have ever had about antiquing was realized. There was one table with surgeon's tools that looked like Victorian torture implements; there was a another table that I'm fairly was selling actual Victorian torture implements. There was a row of small bottles full of 20-70 year old liquor at 3 euros apiece. Next to the booze, something I thought was a bottle opener – nope, somethings from the gynecologist's.

There were delicate porcelain figurines forever engaged in sexual exploits. There were sets of ivory shaving kits next to binoculars and rifles that I'm fairly certain were used to hunt the elephant the shaving kits came from. There was a pale faced doll with a cracked wooden smile and dead eyes standing in a crib. They didn't have a sword cane that I saw, which could mean they only stocked really good sword canes, but they did have a sword inside a bucket of canes. Also inside the bucket was a cane with a vicious iron hook on the end and a rifle which apparently doubled as a cane, so, innovation there.

None of these, however, are things I would want to bring through customs, so they will stay here and in our collective memory. I left with a small metal imprint of Joan d'Arc and the happy thought that antiquing was cool again.

No comments:

Post a Comment